[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Mon Feb 1 17:08:23 EST 2010

At Montag, 1. Februar 2010 22:08 Heiko Baums wrote:

At first i want to say that i'm not interested for that the devs have to have
too much work.

> And if you really need to downgrade the kernel or another package just
> do it with pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/<packagename>-<oldversion>.

I know this is the No.1 hint but this solution is not very well from my view
because instead the hardidsk getting bigger and bigger it sounds unlogical to
keep a lot of files in the cache and only a few one could be important for
seldom cases.

One of them which is important be the kernel. So if pacman would have the option
to install a certain version of a package than the user need only to know if
there is more than one version in db. So perhaps this coould be solved at
example for a search of all by a "pacman -Ss --allversions ^kernel". Last not
least repo-add and repo-remove must have the possibilty to do this too.

Than the devs could decide for what for packages they think it is worth to have
an downgrade option and it doesn't matter what is in the cache of everyone.

I think all other ways makes too much work for seldom cases but this is only my
view and not a feature request. On the other side i think it is even worth to
have an own kernel package and the PKGBUILD of kernel26 makes it very easy to do
this.

See you, Attila