[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Nilesh Govindarajan lists at itech7.com
Mon Feb 1 23:30:00 EST 2010

On 02/02/2010 09:34 AM, Dan McGee wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 9:59 PM, Nilesh Govindarajan<lists at itech7.com>  wrote:
>> Well, Arch is rolling release distro, I agree. Arch rocks. But only one
>> thing. pacman should support installing multiple kernels. Developers need
>> not maintain the old version. Let it be in the cache of the user. But pacman
>> should not remove the older one after upgrade.
>
> Do you understand what you are actually implying here? Pacman doesn't
> "remove the older one", it upgrades a package.
>
> The kernel26 package installs its files in *the same place every
> time*. We don't do auto-modification of your grub menu; we don't tack
> on a version string to each vmlinuz image, and we don't (except for
> major kernel version bumps) have the modules in a different directory
> under /lib/modules/. This is nowhere near as simple of a proposition
> as you make it out to be.
>
> -Dan

Actually I kept in mind the same thing you said above, but wrote
something else :D

pacman should do what you said. keeping /boot/vmlinuz-<version> instead
of just /boot/vmlinuz

which will help users in case the new kernel broke their system and also
for people like me who don't have any recovery media. I installed Arch
from Fedora on USB key using static pacman then formatted HDD and copied
all files to HDD. But recently I lost my USB key and also my DVD drive
is not working to use Fedora's DVD as recovery.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Site & Server Adminstrator