[arch-general] Prelink/Preload

solsTiCe d'Hiver solstice.dhiver at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 04:24:28 EST 2010

> Well, I'm bumping this thread, but I have a doubt. When we run prelink,
> prelinking is permanent or has to be done at every boot ?

prelink is not a daemon. prelink changes your file on disk permanently.
So no need to run it at every boot.
but as arch is a rolling release, you install new packages and new files
regularly. and these files are not prelinked by default. so to continue
to enjoy the benefit of prelinking you might want to run it after you
install any new package or regularly in a cron job.

preload is a daemon. you run it at every boot by adding it to the DAEMON
array in rc.conf. all its work is done automatically: scanning and then
prefetching