[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 08:48:13 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 8:53 AM, Ray Rashif <schivmeister at gmail.com> wrote:

> Urmm..if it is so important, Arch gives you the power to roll your own
> kernel. Heck, I don't even have a fallback, because I don't need it.
> Like Fons, I have an RT kernel, and a normal kernel. Either acts as a
> backup of the other, since neither gets updated along with the other.

To all the complainers in that thread :
WHO has a serious problem with the above, and can give a strong argument WHY ?

I completely agree that having only one kernel installed sucks, if
that one stops booting, you need a livecd/usb in order to boot and fix
things.
That simply does not happen if you have two kernels installed, be it
RT or LTS or custom or whatever.

Now if we are talking about minor issues, the kernel boots and works,
then there is no reason the kernel should be handled in a more special
way than any other packages. It's not the only critical component of
the system.
So just follow : http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Downgrading_Packages

And I actually find quite annoying the debian/ubuntu handling of
accumulating old kernels and having to clean up every time.

Final word : if you are not happy with the quality of testing already
made for core packages, just HELP to improve the situation.