[arch-general] Multiple Kernels

Attila vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org
Tue Feb 2 12:47:11 EST 2010

At Montag, 1. Februar 2010 23:57 Heiko Baums wrote:

> It's contrary because these cases are so seldom it would make too much
> work to keep and maintain several older versions and it would cost much
> more disk space and traffic on the mirrors.

+1 I speak about this seldom cases and the only one what i propose to have
multiple versions is the kernel package. Perhaps the devs see more but not me.-)

> See Gentoo with its USE flags, slots, multiple versions in the portage
> tree etc. All these features are quite nice and supposedly flexible.
> But in fact I like the feeling of having lost all this ballast on Arch.

I tried gentoo in the past but this USE flags confused me more than they helps
me because i don't know enough about what for apps need what to use it in a
constructive way.

> And the two cases in which I needed the previous version I was lucky
> with the pacman -U option.

We both are not so much different in our opinions (perhaps we should try it in
german -) ) but instead of you i don't see the cache on my local disk as a
backup. That is why i use own kernel packages to be on the safe side.-)

See you, Attila