[arch-general] Server Space for Arch Downloads / AUR / ABS for small X additions the Arch Community might enjoy?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Feb 3 02:01:13 EST 2010

Guys,

	I have several good collections of miscellaneous kde themes, kdm/gdm themes,
metacity, gtk-2, xcursors, etc.. that I would like to find how best to
contribute them to the community. The color-schemes, gnome and kde layout are
original and the are available from gnome-look, kde-look, etc. (all GPL), but
given all the 3rd party redirection that those sites put you through to find any
given file, it is almost not worth downloading them anymore one-at-a-time (same
applies to many of the other 'now commercialized' sites).

	If this is something that you guys may be interested in, my main question is I
don't know whether it would be better to put them together as several AUR
package, ABS package or whether Arch has a place for this type of stuff. I
generally just make them available on my server at 3111skyline.com, but I'm
limited to 384k upstream so putting a bunch of material out for community wide
download can result in logjams. The idea here is to just make it convenient for
Arch users to have a convenient couple of packages to install to get a good
cross-section of some of the better desktop packages themes, cursors, etc.. that
are a real pain to go search for, find and download separately.

	Arch devs, is this something that you guys would be interested in? If so, what
do you think is the best way to do it? There is probably no more than 50M total.
For example, my favorite xcursor directory is 12M:

00:45 nirvana:/srv/www/dl/dt> ls -1 X/xcursor/
AGlowInTheDark.tar.gz
AlienMindII.tar.gz
Alpha_Triangles_Black_Linux_by_Ghost_Assassin.bz2
Alpha_Triangles_Linux_by_Ghost_Assassin.bz2
ATER_Blue.tar.gz
ATER-mouse-theme-0.1.tar.gz
Azenis.tar.gz
BlackStyle.tar.gz
CG.tar.gz
Charged.tar.gz
CopperDeckII-Small.tar.gz
DasBlack.tar.gz
Das.tar.gz
DeepBlue.tar.gz
Direction.tar.gz
Eclipse.tar.gz
Ecliz_Port.tar.gz
FlyOS.tar.gz
GlassMaxX.tar.gz
HeiBiao3D.tar.gz
JadeDreams.tar.gz
Jazz.tar.gz
LightBlue.tar.gz
Liquidox.tar.gz
Perfect-Harmony.tar.gz
Point-Black.tar.gz
Point-Chrome.tar.gz
Prowler.tar.gz
Pulse.tar.gz
SevenSwords3D.tar.gz
Silex.tar.gz
SpaceSteel.tar.gz
Terracota.tar.gz
T at rget.tar.gz
Vienna2.tar.gz
WhiteStyle.tar.gz
X-Alien2-GREY.tar.gz
X-Alien2.tar.gz
Xeonyx.tar.gz

My gtk2 collection is about 1.2M:

00:49 nirvana:~/dt/gnome> ls -1 themes/gtk2
GTK2-AeroIon.tar.gz
GTK2-BlueHeart.tar.gz
GTK2-CillopMidnite.tar.gz
GTK2-Clearlooks9x.tar.bz2
GTK2-ClearLooksDarkBlue.tar.gz
GTK2-ClearlooksDarkLime.tar.gz
GTK2-DarkNice.tar.gz
GTK2-EvilMac.tar.bz2
GTK2-GmLooks.tar.bz2
GTK2-GreenHeart.tar.gz
GTK2-IndustrialColorpack.tar.gz
GTK2-MarbleIce.tar.gz
GTK2-MarbleLook.tar.gz
GTK2-MidnightOSX.tar.gz
GTK2-PolycarbonateDark.tar.gz
GTK2-Polycarbonate.tar.gz
GTK2-ShinyBlack.tar.gz
GTK2-Sonar.tar.gz
GTK2-Tactile.tar.gz
GTK2-TenebrificBlueMods.tar.gz

I probably have 1/2 dozen or so collections of this type that I have put
together recently. I could package them all in an AUR or ABS package like
Xcursor-collection.tar.gz or metacity-theme-collection.tar.gz or something to
that effect, but you guys know best. Let me know what you think and give me an
idea for package names if you think something like this is worth doing. It's all
in the name of Arch user convenience. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC