[arch-general] Syncing the mirrors

Lee Burton lburton at mrow.org
Thu Feb 4 14:27:14 EST 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:53, Florian Pritz <bluewind at server-speed.net> wrote:
> On 02/03/2010 03:12 PM, Lee Burton wrote:
>> As for push mirroring, http://www.debian.org/mirror/push_server is a
>> decent example
>> An identity file with
>> no-port-forwarding,no-X11-forwarding,no-agent-forwarding,no-pty,command="/path/to/mirror/script",from="IPADDRESS"
>> &"
>> Is fairly decent..
> I've talked with someone working on the data distribution system (big
> webcluster) for some big company and he said they haven't had good
> experience with pushing. Polling (often) has yet been the best solution.
> Actually the patch I posted here is quite similar to their system.
>
> PS: Please don't toppost.
> --
> Florian Pritz -- {flo,bluewind}@server-speed.net

In fact Debian does force commands.. just as you suggested earlier.
I agree that polling is probably a better solution.
To make it "multi-tiered" and to reduce load on the primary mirror
could have slightly more intelligent polling than just checking one
upstream machine.
In this example Let:
Primary = Arch Primary Mirror/Mirrors (updated directly by the dbscripts).
Tier-1 = Large High-Bandwidth/Traffic mirrors that other mirrors mirror off of
Tier-2 = Smaller mirrors
It would then go something like:
A tier-1 mirror would check against the Primaries once a minute (for
the md5sum).
A tier-2 mirror would check against two tier-1 mirrors and see if they
agree, if they don't it would ask a primary for a tie-break.  It would
then could notify (via an automated email?, perhaps one in a 24-hour
period? if it's been out of date for XX hours) the mirror owner of the
out of date mirror?

Also I forget, does archlinux/pacman do any sort of GPG checks/signing
with packages?

Apologies on topposting, I hadn't responded to very much list traffic
with this mail client, and have now changed the client's behavior.
--
Lee Burton
lburton at mrow.org
301 910 0246