[arch-general] AUR / Official Repo version problem

Brendan Long korin43 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:36:24 EST 2010

On 02/05/2010 12:56 PM, Ionut Biru wrote:
> On 02/05/2010 09:51 PM, Brendan Long wrote:
>> So I've been having a strange problem on my computer with updates. The
>> xulrunner package in the official repos didn't want to update because
>> firefox-branded (from the AUR) depends on an old version, but
>> firefox-branded won't update because it needs a newer version of
>> xulrunner. I got it to work by removing firefox-branded, updating, then
>> installing it again, but it's a complicated solution and entirely not
>> obvious what's going wrong. The error message made it sound like there
>> was just no update for xulrunner available:
>>
>> :: Starting full system upgrade...
>> resolving dependencies...
>> looking for inter-conflicts...
>> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> :: firefox-branded: requires xulrunner=1.9.1.7
>>
>> Not sure how this could be made easier, but I thought I'd mention how
>> confusing it is.
>>
>> -Brendan Long
>
> the erros means:
> firefox-branded from your system has no updates pending and pacman
> wants to update xulrunner. but it can't since firefox-branded needs
> 1.9.1.7. Since firefox-branded is unsupported pacman cannot do
> anything about it and is your duty to fix it.

Yeah I figured it out and everything is working, it's just annoying that
if firefox-branded and xulrunner were both in the official repos or both
in the AUR, it would've updated, but since one is official and one
isn't, they refused to update. It also doesn't help that that the error
message (could not satisfy dependencies) sounds like "the version of
xulrunner you need isn't available".

-Brendan Long