[arch-general] Dark Red & Gold KDE4 Theme - brighten your desktop for a bit (DR - you might even like it :-)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:54:01 EST 2010

Guys,

    I never thought red and gold would work on a kde4 desktop, but I think it
looks great. While I figure out how to package them and where to put them, I
could use some feedback on whether they need any more work. Below are links to
the RedGold theme, a background to go with it, and an emerald theme as well. All
three of the gold themes (BlackGold, DeepBlueGold, DarkRedGold), work best with
either Nitrogen, Ozone or Oxygen 'window & style' decorations. Bespin works very
well as a window decoration for all three, but the Bespin 'style' is very
finicky with the Red for some reason. If you use a 'style' other than Ozone,
Nitrogen, Oxygen or Bespin, your theme color will look black instead of Red or
Blue due to how faint the colors are in the color definition.

    For the best results, 'uncheck' the option to blend the title bar with theme
colors in the Appearance -> Window system settings. The charcoal titlebar works
well into the theme. You can also use Crystal, Modern, Laptop or Glow window
decorations and they will look pretty good as well.

    A screenshot: (140k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/ss/kde4/DcrDarkRedGoldKDE4.jpg

    The color theme: (2k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/kde4/color-schemes/DcrDarkRedGoldKDE4.colors

    The background: (112k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/kde4/color-schemes/wp/heatLightWind1440.jpg

** the gold satin background works well too (300k):

http://www.3111skyline.com/download/dt/kde4/color-schemes/wp/goldsatin-1440.jpg

    The emerald theme: (70k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/emerald/dcr-BlackGold.emerald

** Note: you can grab all the current color schemes at: (3.2k)

http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/kde4/color-schemes/dcrKDE4Colors-Current.tar.bz2

Enjoy :p

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.