[arch-general] Pacman trigger

Jim Pryor lists+arch-general at jimpryor.net
Sat Feb 6 09:29:42 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 06, 2010 at 11:36:59PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 06/02/10 23:31, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> >Is there some app that will do some actions on updating some software ?
> >
> >Like for example, I want that in
> >/usr/lib/firefox-<version>/defaults/preferences/firefox.js user agent is
> >set to Firefox/<version> instead of its brand name ?
> >
> >Or copy the previous version of kernel to /boot/stable before update ?
>
> Not yet.  There are some plans
> (http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/User:Allan/Pacman_Hooks) but
> that has not progressed much further than the wiki page...

The customizepkg-new package doesn't yet handle .install files. But it
does enable you to tweak a PKGBUILD, add extra files to the source
array, and so on. When used with a pacman-wrapper that knows about it,
such as yaourt, every time you try to install a package for which you've
scripted these mods, it will be built from source with your mods.

Once the script is expanded to handle .install files---which would not
be hard---this will do what you want. The downside is you'd have to
build all such packages from source yourself. A cooperating pacman
wrapper will make that happen automatically, but you might well decide
it's still more trouble than you're looking for.

(I submitted a bunch of changes to customizepkg-new a few months ago but
I don't think they've been folded in yet.)

--
Jim Pryor
profjim at jimpryor.net