[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 14:09:00 EST 2010

On 9 February 2010 02:49, Xavier Chantry <shiningxc at gmail.com> wrote:
> With every big rebuilds we get new breakage stories. It seems like
> it's the norm nowadays rather than the exception.
>
> I am wondering if it's really only the users that are to blame.. or if
> Arch is also to blame. Or if Arch was supposed to be an elitist
> distribution and is victim of its success.
>
> More importantly, I am wondering if the sodepends/soprovides proposal
> would not actually be a more complex solution than the
> libfoo2/libfoo3/libfoo4 way.

I really like the sodepends/soprovides idea, especially after the last
discussion. After this one, I like it even more. The libfoo2/3/4 has
always confused me, and is one of the reasons why our repos appear
"cleaner" and are, in essence, "easier to navigate".

But really, the only problem we all can recall from the last rebuild
was cairo, of which I myself was a victim (it just skipped my mind
entirely that I had a foreign cairo). Even Nagy mentioned this as an
example of a breakage which sodepends/soprovides could solve, but
technically it's still our own short-sightedness at fault while
everything was rebuilt and ready.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD