[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Feb 8 17:54:43 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 12:36:55AM +0200, Ionut Biru wrote:

> you are focusing only on .so which is different but this schema will
> work only if the package is split in lib, -dev, whatever as now, the
> headers will conflict since it have the same name on the same
> location.

Not true. When a new version is installed, the
headers are replaced, and the symlink from
'libfoo.so' is modified to the new version.

In a link step you refer to the lib as '-lfoo'
which gets translated (via that symlink) into
'libfoo.so.N', the newest installed version.

If you have separate -dev and -lib packages
(and Arch hasn't AFAICS) it is the package
manager's job to always replace both in sync.
Nothing magical about that, all distros I used
before just did it that way.

Ciao,

--
FA