[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Mon Feb 8 18:07:41 EST 2010

Le Mon, 8 Feb 2010 23:29:48 +0100,
fons at kokkinizita.net a écrit :

> *** There is no conflict. *** Pacman can forget
> about and even delete the package that supplied
> the old version. It just *should not remove the
> old library itself*.

And you end up with .so files not tracked by Pacman in your filesystem?
Imagine what will happen to a 2 year-old installation...

As you said, maintenance is something that should be planned. So if you
really need to be sure that your machine will still work after an
upgrade, either try it in a clone VM first (I used to do that with my
server) or be ready to use the Pacman cache / Arch Rollback Machine to
reinstall the old version of the package that broke everything.

--
catwell