[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Feb 8 18:26:59 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:18:00AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:

> I think you miss a point here.  After a rebuild NONE of the packages
> in the repos depend on the old library.  So there is no point in us
> packaging the old library for compatibilty, as none is needed.  We
> only support the latest packages in the repos, so if you have issues
> with old versions of packages or packages from unsupported sources,
> then it is up to you to fix them.

It seems you didn't even read what I wrote.

I do *not* propose to keep old versions in the repo.
I did even write explicitly that I consider it normal
for all packages in a repo to depend on only one
library version.

I *do* propose to not remove the actual old library
files when installing a new one with a different major
version. That's all.

In other words, do not *force* a user to update all
app using a library just because one of them requires
a newer version. Doing this leaves the user with a
broken system, possibly at the most inconvenient time.

Ciao,

--
FA

O tu, che porte, correndo si ?