[arch-general] A suggestion for the devs regarding rebuilds

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Mon Feb 8 18:49:40 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 06:42:56PM -0500, dave reisner wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 6:26 PM, <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> >
> > In other words, do not *force* a user to update all
> > app using a library just because one of them requires
> > a newer version. Doing this leaves the user with a
> > broken system, possibly at the most inconvenient time.
>

> Arch doesn't force you to update. It's been repeated ad nauseum that partial
> updates are dangerous. I propose you don't update at all if you don't have
> time to update everything. Problem solved. You're trying to apply an ugly
> bandaid a non-existant wound.

Installing a new app is not an update. It may require
an update of a library, and my point is that such an
update should not disable other apps. Which is achieved
by just leaving the old *.so in place. That's all.

It's more and more clear that the only resistance to
this is of a very nonrational kind.

Ciao,

--
FA