[arch-general] KMS again with 2.6.33?

Xavier Chantry chantry.xavier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:20:44 EST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 12:50 AM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-02-08 at 18:52 +0100, Xavier Chantry wrote:
>> It seems the question was not only about kms but also about dri2,
>> which is needed to get 3d support with kms.
>>
>> About nouveau, ums was dropped from ddx on 11th January and
>> extra/xf86-video-nouveau package is from 17th January. So the only
>> option is to use kms, which should also be enabled by default now.
>
> Which means autoloading of nouveau modules by udev, which means breaking
> the nvidia drivers for everyone not blacklisting it.
>
> This is going to be so much fun... especially now nouveau was merged in
> the staging tree.

That's true, but the conflict goes both way. And the situation isn't
different with ati vs fglrx, is it ?

Anyway, there is no reason to enable nouveau in the kernel, the
current out-of-tree build is just fine and allows for more frequent
updates.
As long as users still have to install it explicitly, they should be
able to handle this conflict.
But it would indeed be more problematic if we wanted to have it
directly in the kernel package.