[arch-general] udev and/or device-mapper problem

karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se karolina.lindqvist at kramnet.se
Wed Feb 10 10:00:53 EST 2010

Thursday 28 January 2010 skrev Hussam Al-Tayeb:
> I updated to udev, cryptsetup and device mapper from testing the
> installed kernel 2.6.32.6 and rebooted.

Something similar, or the same thing, happened to me.

I updated my system, and then on reboot it could not find the disk /dev/sda
anymore. A pity, since it hold the boot and root file systems. I have a custom
kernel, for various reasons, but now I could not get my custom kernel, of
2.6.32 series, to work with the new udev features, and have no idea what it
can be.

(The stock kernel does recognize the disks, but instead crashes on my radeon
card, with or without the "fixes" described in the wiki. )

Without the /boot patition it was quite hard to get the system working again.
Kernel update/downgrade does not work. I tried to downgrade packages, one
after another, until I came to "udev", and after I downgraded it, the system
worked normally. So now udev  is locked it in a downgraded state.

What is going on?