[arch-general] pacman too slow on reboot

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 10:11:53 EST 2010

On 10/02/2010 04:49 μμ, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently I'm facing a funny problem. pacman (and even packer) is toooo
> slow to search -Ss (db+aur) or -Qs (db). I see a lot of HDD activity
> going on. But when I run pacman-optimize, it gets fixed.
>
> This happens at every boot. Any ideas ?

Pacman's package databases (located inside /var/lib/pacman) are composed
of many small files. Going through all of those files requires lots of
read operations from the disk, which as you've noticed take a
non-trivial amount of time (maybe several seconds). These files are then
cached in memory and subsequent pacman operations are very fast. When
you perform a reboot, disk cache is cleared and the files need to be
accessed from the disk again.

There has been discussion [1] about using a single tarball or an sqlite3
database for storing the package databases (maybe except the local one
which is generally not that big). However, I'm not aware of any
definite, reliable solution that has been developed yet.

----
[1] http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8586