[arch-general] Firefox 3.6 window size issue on nvidia TwinView

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Thu Feb 11 12:01:40 EST 2010

Having a weird problem in the latest firefox, and was wondering if
anyone is seeing anything similar.  (And/or know cause/workaround.)

When I shut down FF and start it again, the new FF window is a smaller
size than the old one.  But it's not just that it's not remembering the
correct settings - it's actually doing something more devious than that:
  Even if I manually set the height in the localstore.rdf file (or
delete the localstore and let FF re-create it) FF is *overriding* the
height value in that file - with a value of 900.

Now that value is too round a number to be a coincidence - and it's not.
  Apparently, it's taking the height from the *smaller* of the 2 screens
I have connected to my laptop (the internal panel - 1440x900).

But I tweaked my nvidia settings a long time ago specifically to avoid
this issue, and they've been working properly with FF ever since (i.e.,
setting window at correct size) - up until the recent FF/xulrunner
upgrade, that is.

My nvidia xorg settings are as follows:

         Option  "TwinView"      "on"
         Option  "TwinViewOrientation"   "Clone"
         Option  "MetaModes"     "nvidia-auto-select, nvidia-auto-select"
         Subsection      "Display"
                 Depth   24
                 Modes   "nvidia-auto-select"
         EndSubsection
         Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-2, DFP-0"

DFP-2 is my external monitor (1680x1050), and DFP-0 is my laptop
internal panel.

I haven't been able to find much mention about this issue - either on
the Arch boards, or elsewhere on the Net.  This seems to be the only
reference I could find to it:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1745845

Anybody have any idea what might be going on here and/or how to fix?
It's a pain in the butt to have *every single FF window* show up at the
wrong size.

Thanks,

DR