[arch-general] [Device Auto-mounting] HAL, KDE4.4 and tight default permissions

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Feb 11 15:34:36 EST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 07:33:59PM +0100, Guus Snijders wrote:

> On 10-02-10 13:10, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> >Hello,
> >I have a small problem with default permissions of  Automounted
> >Removable Devices. Whenever I mount it via KDE4.4's Auto-mounter. it
> >sets all files to be owned by root.
> >
> >$ ls -la /media/Backup/
> >total 24
> >drwxr-xr-x 3 root root  4096 Feb 10 16:07 .
> >drwxr-xr-x 6 root root  4096 Feb 10 17:30 ..
> >drwx------ 2 root root 16384 Feb 10 16:07 lost+found
> [...]
> >$ cat /etc/mtab
> >/dev/sdb1 /media/Backup ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal 0 0
>
> This is normal behavior on all "Unix" filesystems AFAIK. The root of
> a filesystem always belongs to root.

It doesn't have to. For the directory shown this is
probably just because the filesystem was created by
root. I mount removable devices manually, and owner-
ship (as stored on the disk being mounted) is always
preserved. The permissions on the mount point itself
don't seem to matter.

If KDE's automounter is actually changing ownership
that's sort of 'evil' IMHO.

Ciao,

--
FA