[arch-general] [Device Auto-mounting] HAL, KDE4.4 and tight default permissions

Guus Snijders gsnijders at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 04:17:34 EST 2010

On 11-02-10 23:51, Gaurish Sharma wrote:
> Hi,
> Idea was for quick and dirty data sharing. example, my friend brings
> portable hdd&  I need to copy project files into that removable volume.
>
> I can't do that without being root, since the removeable device changes
> everything(I have lot of friends), putting entry in fstab is also not a
> solution.

Well, for quick&dirty sharing, i'd use FAT32. It has some constraints,
but has the big advantage that most OS'es understand it.
It also "fixes" the problem of permissions, since it doesn't support
those ;).

OTOH; if the data is always shared amongst the same users, you could
also try to find/create a group with the same GID on all systems. Then
you can use a better FS and set the permissions to that GID.

mvg,
    Guus