[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Let's agree on a common coding style

Evangelos Foutras foutrelis at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 15:12:03 EST 2010

On 13/02/2010 08:57 μμ, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Never use `...`, always $(...), always use the braces for variable names
> and always quote paths that contain variables.

I do not agree with your view that braces should always be used around
variable names. While I would like to read any justification about that,
my opinion is that they should only be used when necessary.

For example, in a PKGBUILD I would write ${pkgname}_$pkgver, because _
can be part of a variable name, but I'd much rather prefer to use
$pkgname-$pkgver, since hyphens are not allowed in variable names.

Less typing, less ugliness. :)