[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Let's agree on a common coding style

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 04:08:57 EST 2010

On 14 February 2010 04:19, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 16:10:08 -0600
> Muhammed Uluyol <uluyol0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Dieter Plaetinck
>> <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> >
>> > what do you mean context? it only depends on whether the first
>> > character after the variablename is a valid character in a
>> > variablename or not.  if it's valid, use braces. if it isn't, no
>> > need for braces.
>>
>> Arrays can't be used with $array[4], they need to be used as
>> ${array[4]} Also finding the string length, substitution, etc require
>> braces
>
> okay sure.  i agree, but we (or atleast i) were (was) talking about
> regular variables.

We had similar discussions before (I think it was when deciding upon
standardising "$pkgdir"), and the conclusion was: "to each his own".
We didn't really feel the need to "standardise" anything; most of us
were content with "as needed", i.e quotes for when absolute paths are
concerned, and braces where characters may interfere or where it is
not a variable (array).

Until now, I still see:

arch=(i686 x86_64)

instead of:

arch=('i686' 'x86_64')

But that makes no difference, aside from maybe treating arch as a
pseudo-integer array. Gentoo and ebuilds (although all the other
distributions follow similar standards in their scripts) are always
the case examples, because they enforce: "${foobar}"

Keeping it consistent-by-individual should be enough, i.e you don't
change your own style across your works, and if you do you should
reflect the new style throughout everything else.

--
GPG/PGP ID: B42DDCAD