[arch-general] Error message on mkinitcpio

Ray Kohler ataraxia937 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 11:38:20 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 12.02.2010 03:26, schrieb Tomás Acauan Schertel:
>> I still got error message after using packages from [testing].
>> Am I doing something wrong??
>
> Is the line number still 17?

I was surprised to still see this autodetect error after upgrading to
the glibc-based mkinitcpio, so apparently Pierre's fix wasn't the
whole fix.

I have an understanding of why I saw it now: blkid detected my swap as
a VFAT filesystem (which used to be there before), and so it had a
very short UUID (something like 3030-3030). Apparently the autodetect
hook doesn't like that. I dd'ed zeros over the swap and re-created it,
so that it now has a "normal" UUID and the right type given by blkid,
changed UUID in fstab, and the autodetect error went away.

I don't know if this is something we really care about. Probably it's
worth making it work for UUIDs of strange lengths, but no so
interesting to cover over problems from people (like me, apparently)
who just have wrong data written on their disks.