[arch-general] Kernel 2.6.30 on EEE and KMS

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Mon Feb 15 11:20:21 EST 2010

Am 15.02.2010 17:04, schrieb fons at kokkinizita.net:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm installing Arch on an EEE. Following the wiki,
> I installed from a core image which hase 2.6.30,
> blocked its update, and then updated all the rest.
>
> Starting X I get this:
>
> (EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
>
> Does this mean I'll need 2.6.32 anyway (and hence
> no Wifi) or are there other solutions ?

The current intel drivers require kernel mode setting. You can activate
it with 2.6.30, but I wouldn't recommend it, as it is very buggy in that
old version.

Put "options i915 modeset=1" into /etc/modprobe.d/modprobe.conf and add
"intel_agp i915" to the MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf. This will
probably allow you to use X, but as I said: BUGGY.