[arch-general] EEE 1000H - control of Wifi device

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Wed Feb 17 18:16:34 EST 2010

Hello all,

A few days ago I installed Arch on an EEE-1000H. Things
work very well and I'm sort of impressed by how easy it
worked out to be (there were a few hickups but nothing
serious).

Today I discovered one possible problem.

The key combination 'Fn + F2' enables or disables the
wireless network device. If you hit it accidentally there's
no more wifi. Using netcfg (I'm using the version from
testing) doesn't bring it back, as the wlan0 device doesn't
exist. The solution is hitting again 'Fn + F2', then netcfg
the wireless profile.

No big deal for me, but the end users of this machine are
less technically inclined. So I'm looking for either

- a way to disable the action of this key combination
 (while leaving the other F-keys intact), or

- a way to re-enable the wireless device from a script.

The trick mentioned on the EEE-901 wiki

echo 1 > /sys/......./wlan0

doesn't work - there's no such file on the 1000H

Any hints will be appreciated !

Ciao,

--
FA