[arch-general] pacman.conf: can I use wildcards?

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Feb 18 17:29:55 EST 2010

Am Thu, 18 Feb 2010 22:52:37 +0100
schrieb Attila <vodoo0904 at sonnenkinder.org>:

> That is true and every example was a good example. But there is a
> little risk that you got lazy if you don't document what you have
> done and than including a complete directory with a lot of files
> could end in a bugreport where people search a longer time because no
> one is thinking that it was "simple mistake". That is all what i want
> to say and myself wouldn't have a problem with it.

Why? I doubt it.

1. The wildcard * is a standard on every shell at least in bash. So
everybody should know its meaning and what it does. Of course there
should be posted a news message that this feature is added to pacman.

2. What will happen if someone will use it accidentally wrong? Nothing
except, that there will be many .pacnew files in this directory which
can simply be renamed. So there won't be any serious bug.

Greetings,
Heiko