[arch-general] Unable to upgrade

Brendan Long korin43 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 20 18:21:26 EST 2010

On 02/20/2010 04:03 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sat, 20 Feb 2010 14:25:11 -0700
> schrieb Brendan Long <korin43 at gmail.com>:
>

>> Why not just install the 32 bit version then? 64 bit Linux can run 32
>> bit programs..
>>
> No, it can't. This is only possible with multilib (lib32-*) support. So
> you need to install every library twice to be able to run 32 bit
> software.
>
> Greetings,
> Heiko

Having the 32 bit libraries as well is what I meant. You don't need all
of the 32 bit libraries, just the ones your propriety software needs
(and that generally won't take up that much disk space). What I don't
understand is why propriety software for Linux isn't just always
released as a monolithic binary with no depends..