[arch-general] Xscreensaver corrupts ext4 / partition

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 15:59:59 EST 2010

On 1/25/10, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, let me rephrase my initial statement.  The only initial symptom
>> was xscreensaver.  It was running when all of sudden the FS got
>> corrupted and I couldn't loging, not from xscreensaver, not from
>> console, etc.
>>
>> At this point I have a pretty stable system.  Nothing fails.  Only
>> when I loads xscreensaver (xscreesaver-demo), then the system doesn't
>> freeze but an equivalent thing happens, although the window manager is
>> up, I can't get any command to work, everything fails due to libraries
>> issues, starting from xscreensaver itself which is not able to load
>> gnome.so I believe.
>
> Test your memory first. (use memtest86+ for that)
> I'd suggest to test the memory of your graphic card too if I knew how
> to do that.
>

> --
> damjan

Amazing, it looks like it's the ATI video driver.  See forum:

I do have an ATI video card:

---
VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV250 [Mobility
FireGL 9000] (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
---

Bad thing it's still kind of unknown how to solve or to work around
it.  Well, the work around is not to use xscreensaver, :-(.   I don't
remember if I can get xlockmore to lock when there's no activity...
Well, I'll have to look into something different than xscreensaver
then.

More amazing, why does the problem only manifests with xscreensaver?
There's no problem with any other application...  Any ways, I just
wanted to provide update.

Thx,

--
Javier.