[arch-general] Archwiki - Installing with fake raid - really chopped up...

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sun Feb 28 16:57:15 EST 2010

Guys,

I don't know who does the wiki editing on the "Installing with Fake RAID" page,
but a lot of the helpful information was deleted and it has been edited down to
the point that it is confusing.

I rebuilt my home server last night and moved my last suse server to Arch at
home. I had written a fairly extensive howto in the Installing with Fake RAID
wiki page after my first multiple fake raid set install last fall so I went back
to use it as a reference of the install last night. I was surprised how terse
the information was and how little of the original step by step instructions
remained. It was actually confusing enough that I went back to the original for
a reference.

If it was confusing for me to use as a reference and I know how to do this
having done at least a dozen, I can imagine how it would hit a first timer.

Don't get me wrong, the core information is still there, but it doesn't
logically flow through the install. It's like nothing connects the dots...

We might want to take another look at making the page flow a little better and
expand a sentence or two on each step from the point of Partitioning Your Drive
-> choosing other, to Installing Grub. Another 3-4 sentences in that area would
really help.

I don't mind doing it, but I don't want to do it again just to have it erased
again. So is there someone we can send the additions to so they can add it
'officially' rather then me adding it and having it erased again?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC