[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Cron

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 02:07:15 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 7:35 AM, Heiko Baums <lists at baums-on-web.de> wrote:

> I vote for fcron because it has dcron and anacron features. Two
> separate packages is indeed a regression and not really KISS like
> because anacron can only do anacron and dcron can only do dcron while
> fcron can do both. And on a desktop system which doesn't run 24/7 you
> need both features at the same time. On servers which run 24/7 it
> doesn't harm if the cron daemon has anacron features, too.

Having one tool doing 2 different tasks is quite in contradiction with
the KISS philosophy.
That said, I think the rest of your argument is valid, kiss isn't the
holy grail, sometimes having a tool that is less simple, less stupid
and more powerful is a good idea. So going with fcron sounds fine.
Confusing simplicity for the user and simplicity for the software just
seems way too common.