[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Cron

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Mon Jan 4 06:37:05 EST 2010

Answering to arch-general again. ;-)

Am Mon, 4 Jan 2010 10:51:29 +0100
schrieb Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>:

> When a crontab is missed due to system downtime, sometimes you want
> the crontab to be done when the system boots up, but sometimes you do
> not want that at all. (eg a cleanup crontab that should never run
> during peak hours)
>
> would be nice if the choosen cron solution supports a certain marker
> per cron entry where you can define the behavior you want.

That's exactly what you can do with fcron. In crontab you have to
explicitly tell fcron to run cronjobs which should have run during
downtime at bootup. If I recall correctly you have to prefix these
lines with an "@". Otherwise they are handled like in dcron.

The scripts in /etc/cron.hourly etc. are executed at bootup if the
system was down when they should be running. But you can delete or chmod
600 them or just comment the commands out.

Greetings,
Heiko