[arch-general] [Request] Remove libpthread-stubs from packages svn/trunk

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:11:40 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 08.01.2010 17:24, schrieb arch at nezmer.info:
>> Can someone remove libpthread-stubs from packages svn/trunk?
>> The package obviously was removed from the repos a long time ago
>> and tools like pbget would fetch an outdated PKGBUILD.
>
> While you may be right, such tools must be able to handle packages in
> trunk that are not in any repo: It might happen that packages are being
> removed from the repos but kept in trunk for some reason (maybe to be
> readded later, maybe for some other reason). Other packages might be in
> trunk because they will be used in the future, but have not yet been added.

Why doesn't Arch ship that package ? It's a single 6 lines file, it
cannot hurt anything.
I just realized arch patches libdrm to not require it :
http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/libdrm/repos/extra-i686/no-pthread-stubs.patch
But official libdrm still requires it, and that's also what we get if
we just clone libdrm git repo (usually needed if you also build git
versions of ddx and mesa).

I just asked on #dri-devel about it :
18:01 < shining> whats the deal with pthread-stubs ? libdrm requires
it (apparently with

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/drm/commit/?id=6df7b0719fe92b718e486c2b87e2f883cfa41efa
) but arch kills it

(http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/libdrm/repos/extra-i686/no-pthread-stubs.patch).
do all distrib do that ?
18:03 < pq> shining, it is for non-threaded applications, so that the
library does not call into the real pthread library but gets the no-op
            stubs instead. It is implemented by glibc, so the stubs
package is "empty" in that case.
18:04 < shining> pq: is it possible to require it only when glibc is
not available/used ?
18:05 < pq> shining, the pthread-stubs package itself handles that.
That's why it exists.
18:05 < jcristau> shining: what's the point?  what's required is a
single .pc file at build time in that case
18:06 < pq> in a glibc system it really installs only a single .pc file, AFAIK
18:07 < shining> jcristau: I guess I will forward that question to
arch if its the only distrib doing that :)

if no one has a good answer to jcristau question, I will open a bug report.