[arch-general] [Request] Remove libpthread-stubs from packages svn/trunk

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:51:27 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Jan de Groot <jan at jgc.homeip.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-08 at 18:11 +0100, Xavier wrote:
>> Why doesn't Arch ship that package ? It's a single 6 lines file, it
>> cannot hurt anything.
>> I just realized arch patches libdrm to not require it :
>> http://repos.archlinux.org/wsvn/packages/libdrm/repos/extra-i686/no-pthread-stubs.patch
>> But official libdrm still requires it, and that's also what we get if
>> we just clone libdrm git repo (usually needed if you also build git
>> versions of ddx and mesa).
>>

> The dependency is killed because it's useless. It's easy to kill, so we
> do it. If you like to install the package because you want to build
> stuff from git without killing the dependency from your sources, you're
> free to install it on your system.

Well ok, that's fine...

> I don't see point in maintaining a package with just a 6-line .pc file.
> That's also the reason why we don't maintain this package in extra or
> any other binary repository, it's useless.

...but I don't buy this argument, there isn't any maintenance and cost
involved compared to any other packages. And I feel up to the task, it
will take 1 minute of my life, but also save a few minutes of my life
for the few times I will have to install the aur package on a new
system :)
Compared to the many hours I spend talking about random useless stuff,
I agree it's not much.
I just disagree with the principle "let's kill 6 lines just because we
can" but it won't change my life much, so no big deal ! I already
forgot about it.