[arch-general] Last networkmanager in testing busts everything in gnome ?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Sat Jan 9 15:39:20 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010 10:23:20 Magnus Therning wrote:
[..]
>> There's an explanation for it here
>> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html#s-net-dns
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Not Found
> The requested URL /doc/manuals/reference/ch-gateway.en.html was not found on
> this server.
> Apache Server at www.debian.org Port 80

Indeed, today that link doesn't work :(  I found it here[1], and the
explanation is copied:

Some software (e.g., GNOME) expects the system hostname to be
resolvable to an IP address
with a canonical fully qualified domain name. This is really improper
because system hostnames and domain names are two very different
things; but there you have it. In order to support that software, it
is necessary to ensure that the system hostname can be resolved. Most
often this is done by putting a line in /etc/hosts containing some IP
address and the system hostname. If your system has a permanent IP
address then use that; otherwise use the address 127.0.1.1.

/M

[1]: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-networking-3/what-does-127.0.1.1-mean-623421/