[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] dcron 4.2

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 21:41:29 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Am 11.01.2010 19:38, schrieb Aaron Griffin:
>> If you modify it, you should add it to the NoUpgrade line in
>> /etc/pacman.conf. The backup array is for what we INTEND to be
>> modified. Users are more than welcome to do what we don't intend, but
>> you need to control whether of not pacman mucks with those files
>> yourself
>
> I would even go further and recommend not to modify the daemon script,
> but rather create a copy on the filesystem (not tracked by pacman) and
> use/modify that one.

We're also going to get a ton of bug reports here if the init script
changed- a lot of people will not move the new one in to place, which
will never replace the old one because it wasn't tracked before by
backup and pacman won't overwrite it automatically.

I'd agree with Thomas here- there are multiple ways to avoid getting
your local changes overwritten. It might be in /etc/, but this is all
but a binary that we (as a distro) happen to maintain, so people
should not be regularly changing these scripts.

-Dan