[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [announcement] qemu/qemu-kvm announcement draft

Simon Boulay simon.boulay at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 05:41:03 EST 2010

On 01/12/2010 07:33 AM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> Am Dienstag 12 Januar 2010 schrieb Alexander Duscheleit:
>> On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 11:07:19 +0100
>>
>> Tobias Powalowski<t.powa at gmx.de>  wrote:

>>> normal qemu supports kvm too, just use --enable-kvm start parameter.
>>> So no need to install qemu-kvm.
>>> greetings
>>> tpowa
>>
>> In this light, what actually is qemu-kvm good for? We don't split
>> packges for -src, -devel, but for startup-parameters?
>>
>> If there is no other difference then a few more binaries (which as far
>> as i know doesn't justify another package) why not kill qemu-kvm
>> alltogether and include something like /usr/bin/kvm:
>>
>> ---8<---
>> #!/bin/bash
>> qemu --enable-kvm $*
>> --->8---
>>
>> When I tested both packages here qemu with --enable-kvm *felt* a little
>> slower when running XP, but that's a) entirely subjective and b) I
>> dodn't test identical workloads.
>>
>> So, again, what is the reason for there being a qemu-kvm package, when
>> it is apparently a subset of the qemu package?
>>
>> Greetings,
>> 	jinks
>>
> The size of the package differs enormous. I'll keep both.
The size differs because qemu-kvm doesn't build all targets by default
unlike qemu. If you build qemu-kvm with ./configure --target-list=""
both packages will be the same size...
AFAIK the difference between the two is in the kvm implementation.
qemu-kvm is far more advanced in this area (support more targets, ksm,
and certainly many other things regarding the amount of code
differences). The point is, as kqemu is gone, qemu-kvm can replace qemu
and even provide more functionality. But it is not so clear that this
will be always true.
archlinux choose to offer both packages for two different purposes and
it's fine. But if they are two different applications, why not make it
possible to install both at the same time?

You, archlinux developers make an amazing job. The beauty and the power
of archlinux is that I can easily build qemu and/or qemu-kvm in my own
particular weird way ;-)

Greetings,
Simon.