[arch-general] building x86_64 packages under qemu?

Chris Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Tue Jan 12 06:27:16 EST 2010

Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> writes:

> It is not a little slow, but painfully slow (remember: the compiler runs
> in an emulated environment, where each CPU instruction issued by the
> compiler is translated into a CPU instruction that the host CPU
> understands, and the result is somehow translated back).

Yes, I've noticed that the ./configure step is especially painful,
because of all of the little test programs that it compiles.
Running ./configure for a small project took the good part of half an hour.

> If you really want to do this, it might be better (but surely not
> easier, this is rather Voodoo) to port makepkg to using a cross-compiler
> toolchain.

Sounds risky, as well.  At some point, it'll become worthwhile to simply
upgrade my platform.

-- Chris