[arch-general] Why Is My RAID Installing Failing?

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 09:48:24 EST 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Try the params on the /boot/grub/menu.lst line

OK - So I am starting from scratch again since my previous attempt
failed. I boot from the disk. Load modprobe raid1 modules from command
line and then create the RAID1 mirror with 'mdadm'. I have recreated
the partitions:

sda1 = 4 GB /boot (bootable)
sda2 = the rest of the disk (RAID)

sdb1 = 4 GB SWAP (SWAP)
sdb2 = the rest of the disk (RAID)

Below I created the same RAID.

#mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=2 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2

**I allowed the mirror to synchronize over night. Right now as I type
this, the mirror is done syncing.

So according to everything we previously discussed, I don't need to
mess with anything else and can go into the /arch/setup and configure
my system, right? I should simply only make changes to my menu.lst as
noted above, and nothing else when I am prompted to 'Configure
System'?

So am changing the 'kernel' line in the Grub 'menu.lst' to read as follows:

kernel vmlinuz26 root=/dev/md0 md=2,/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2 ro

*Note the 'ro' at the end. It was already there before I add your
suggestion in the middle. Do I take it off or leave it on?*

Please let me know if I have missed anything.