[arch-general] Why Is My RAID Installing Failing?

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Jan 12 11:03:00 EST 2010

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 09:48:24 am Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 3:01 PM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com>
wrote:
> > Try the params on the /boot/grub/menu.lst line
>
> OK - So I am starting from scratch again since my previous attempt
> failed. I boot from the disk. Load modprobe raid1 modules from command
> line and then create the RAID1 mirror with 'mdadm'. I have recreated
> the partitions:
>
> sda1 = 4 GB /boot (bootable)
> sda2 = the rest of the disk (RAID)
>
> sdb1 = 4 GB SWAP (SWAP)
> sdb2 = the rest of the disk (RAID)
>
> Below I created the same RAID.
>
> #mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=2 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2
>
> **I allowed the mirror to synchronize over night. Right now as I type
> this, the mirror is done syncing.
>
> So according to everything we previously discussed, I don't need to
> mess with anything else and can go into the /arch/setup and configure
> my system, right? I should simply only make changes to my menu.lst as

Yes

> noted above, and nothing else when I am prompted to 'Configure
> System'?

Just add raid to the HOOKS line in to generate th initrd (and whatever else
you need there for your system) in mkinitrd configure.

I don't put the madam in the HOOKS line, it always fails for me.

> So am changing the 'kernel' line in the Grub 'menu.lst' to read as follows:
>
> kernel vmlinuz26 root=/dev/md0 md=2,/dev/sda2,/dev/sdb2 ro

Good, what that says is the root filesystem is on /dev/md0,
 and the array is made up of two drives, list of the drives.

Now grub knows how to handle the array.

> *Note the 'ro' at the end. It was already there before I add your
> suggestion in the middle. Do I take it off or leave it on?*

The ro is fine on the above line.

> Please let me know if I have missed anything.

I don't think so.

Your above setup is how I do the raid