[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [announcement] qemu/qemu-kvm announcement draft

Tobias Powalowski t.powa at gmx.de
Tue Jan 12 13:02:11 EST 2010

Am Dienstag 12 Januar 2010 schrieb Simon Boulay:
> On 01/12/2010 02:29 PM, Alexander Duscheleit wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:41:03 +0100
> >
> > Simon Boulay<simon.boulay at gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> On 01/12/2010 07:33 AM, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
> >
> > [snip]

> > I didn't look at them until now, but yes, at 5 MB vs 56 MB this makes
> > sense.
> >
> >> The size differs because qemu-kvm doesn't build all targets by
> >> default unlike qemu. If you build qemu-kvm with ./configure
> >> --target-list="" both packages will be the same size...
> >> AFAIK the difference between the two is in the kvm implementation.
> >> qemu-kvm is far more advanced in this area (support more targets,
> >> ksm, and certainly many other things regarding the amount of code
> >> differences).
> >
> > *This* was what i was looking for. I couldn't really find anything
> > published about the differences between the two different releases in
> > any prominent place.
>
> Me neither... I found this:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/KVM_and_QEMU_merge
> and Fedora package source here:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/qemu/devel/

If you really want all things build from qemu-kvm you can still use abs for
this task.

In the early days of kvm, qemu-kvm was always more bleeding edge than qemu.
As i said, i'll  keep the packages as they are now. If more info is provided
which one will dropped upstream we can switch to this and remove the other
package.

greetings
tpowa
--