[arch-general] Yet another step toward Arch evil plan

James Rayner james at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 13 08:31:09 EST 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 08:00 -0500, "Daenyth Blank"
<daenyth+arch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 07:51, ianux <ianux at free.fr> wrote:
> > They provide ArchLinux 2009.08 in both 32 and 64 bit with
> > their own kernel with grsecurity (2.6.31.5-grs)
> How well does this integrate? Arch doesn't have any
> officially-endorsed grsecurity kernel. Does it require userspace
> modifications? Have they submitted their package to Arch so the devs
> can look at it and check for flaws?

In general, kernel's don't need to integrate with anything, and no
changes whatsoever should be necessary in userspace. The exception is
when the kernel is too old to be compatible with our udev version.

I build my own kernels, not via PKGBUILDs/pacman. They work fine and
it's tidy too. Kernels keep to their own directories with the kernel
itself a single file in /boot and modules in /lib/modules.

James