[arch-general] Why Is My RAID Installing Failing?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Wed Jan 13 16:58:34 EST 2010

On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:22:30 -0500
Carlos Williams <carloswill at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:57 PM, Alexander Duscheleit
> <jinks at archlinux.us> wrote:
> > I still think /arch/setup *should* generate this file itself if it
> > detects software raids in use for the target. The wiki even seems to
> > suggest, that it does.
> >
> > Could some releng shine light on this, please?
>
> I completely agree. The Wiki suggests that it's as simple as self
> generating if I follow the steps and it clearly is not. I became so
> frustrated I almost abandoned Arch. I hope this gets fixed in a soon
> future release of Arch.

AIF has no support for softraid.
It does make sure menu.lst, fstab etc are updated automagically but
only for dm_crypt/lvm/"normal" setups.

If the official installation guide states otherwise, we should fix
that. please point me to the mistake/file a ticket.
If community-maintained documentation is incorrect, fix it yourself.

Patches to support softraid are always welcome.  Things don't get
improved by merely hoping for it.
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/14149

Dieter