[arch-general] Quoting of E-mails

Arvid Picciani aep at exys.org
Sat Jan 16 03:31:36 EST 2010

On Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:33:20 -0700, Steve Holmes <steve.holmes88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If bottom-posting is so passionately desirable, then may I suggest
> people trim down the history of a thread.

One is supposed to add their answer to the bottom of
the _quote_ not the mail. People who do otherwise are indeed
worse then top-posters.

> Of course interlacing replies with quoted text makes a lot of sense
> when you have multiple issues or questions being asked.

It makes sense for multiple _statements_. That's why you put statements
in paragraphs.

> Anyway, just my thoughts, not trying to war or any of that, just
> trying to see the proes and cons of e-mail styles.

With improper quoting style, you have to extract the history of a
discussion from the thread view and content combined. With proper
quoting, only the current mail view is enough. It doesn't matter if you
top or bottom post in that regard, but bottom posting seems to make
sense in a western culture where we read logs from top to bottom.

Not sure why some people are so nazi on top posting when improper
quoting and "me too" posts are the actual problem.