[arch-general] Re-installing whole system without touching configs.

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 12:06:54 EST 2010

Hi,

Some time back, while xscreensver was running the system got locked,
so that I couldn't log back neither under X, neither under the
console.  The only solution at hand was to do a hard reset.  After
such hard reset, the partition for /tmp got corrupted and it had to be
repaired.

However ever now and then since that incident I get errors when
xscreensaver is running, including system freeze.  Some times when
running the demo application (xscreensaver user interface), in some
screen saver applications I get errors in the preview indicating
problems with gtk, or some gnome libs and the like, but then the same
screen savers after reboot don't give that problem.

Notice I've uninstalled xscreensaver and installit back, with no effect...

Perhaps important to note is that I'm using ext4 in all partitions.

So I have run already "fsck -f" over all partitions, but what's left
is to re-install everything...

I don't want to do a install from scratch, just want to re-install
everything, but not touching the configuration files.  Still I want to
re-install all packages already installed in the system.

Is there a way to do such re-install through pacman?  If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

--
Javier.