[arch-general] Adding new partition to system from unpartitioned space - any reason to not use ext4??

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jan 19 18:23:59 EST 2010

On 01/13/2010 08:06 PM, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Wednesday 13 January 2010 21:57:04 Christos Nouskas wrote:
>>  Kind of late response, but I strongly agree with Thomas. I've had my
>> share of truncated files after unclean shutdowns (every single time), some
>> kernel modules being among the victims. If you decide to decide to use
>> ext4, then it's almost mandatory to use the 'nodelalloc' mount option,
>> unless you're positive that unclean shutdowns are unlikely in your setup
>> or you don't care about lost data.
>
> Isn't that option auto_da_alloc?

Well, I thought I would close the thread with a follow-up on how it went and
what I ultimately went with. I ended up expanding the extended partition to
encompass the remainder of the disk. I then created 2 ext4 partitions, a 6 gig
for private data that can be mounted for use then unmounted and the remainder as
a big data drive. Both are dmraid mirrored partitions.

The current mount options are:

/dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdip12 /data ext4 defaults 0 1
/dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdip11 /home/david/pvt ext4 defaults 0 1

are you guys saying I should add 'auto_da_alloc' as an option for all ext4
partitions?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC