[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.32.4-1 [ Possible Problems... ]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:41:56 EST 2010

On 01/20/2010 10:51 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Tobias, all,
>
> After further testing with kernel 2.6.32.4-1, I have found two bugs:
>
> (1) the kernel upgrade kills WindowMaker
> (2) the kernel upgrade kills VirtualBox
>
> It was ironic, because I was using WindowMaker when I installed the kernel and then on reboot, WindowMaker attempted to start and then crashed back to the login screen. After the upgrade I successfully rebuilt the kernel module for vb with vbox_build_module, then started vbox and it hung with a small dialog "spawning session". Let me know what information you want to see and I'll be happy to provide it or file a bug report. Thanks.

Add to the list of broken desktop/window managers:

(3) Enlightenment (E17) broken with latest kernel

The problem seems to be libpng and libjpg. The xsession-errors from windowmaker were:

[13:26 alchemy:~] # cat /home/david/.xsession-errors
wmaker: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

I created the link to libpng like:

ln -s /usr/lib/libpng14.so.14.0.0 /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0

then on next wm start

[13:32 alchemy:~] # cat /home/david/.xsession-errors
wmaker: error while loading shared libraries: libjpeg.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I didn't catch the E17 .xsession-errors, but I suspect it is related.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC