[arch-general] [signoff] kernel 2.6.32.4-1 [ Possible Problems... ]

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 08:23:14 EST 2010

>>> even with 2.6.32.3, I had to recomile virtualbox module. I tried to start
>>> a VM and system froze solid and had to do hard reset. With a recompile,
>>> its working though.
>>
>> Are you talking about recompile of the vbox module, that I just did, or are
>>  you talking about a kernel recompile?
>
> vbox module recompile.
>
> It fixed the issue on 2.6.32-3 but from your post it seems, it is not
> sufficient for 2.6.32-4.

It is working here with x86_64.
I have updated _only_ the kernel, headers and firmware, after that I've
rebuilt the vbox module and reboot. Everything is working as it should.

It is clearly stated when you install virtualbox that you need to
rebuild the vbox module after every kernel update, if before it was only
needed after a kernel version change it was just luck.

And I guess just rebuilding the module doesn't cut it, if it is already
inserted you may have to rmmod it and modprobe it again, but to be safe
I think it is better to reboot the machine.