[arch-general] Can you rebuild an nv dmraid array in linux - or is it just gparted and copy partitions?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:12:03 EST 2010

On 01/21/2010 05:38 AM, Baho Utot wrote:
> This is not an answer to your question directly...
>
> I have hardware raid on my desktop but I use software raid,  raid5 and
> raid 1 arrays using mdadm.
>
> The reason I don't use the on board raid or a hardware raid is that the
> different manufactures use different methods causing problems when you
> want move the array to another system or the raid card fails.  Then you
> usally lose the entire raid array.
> With software raid you can move the raid to another system and it uses
> whatever stat hardware that is in the system.. ie lose the stata card
> just install another one and you are good.
>
> To replace a failed drive with software raid all that needs to be done
> is to fail the drive using mdadm then physical remove and replace the
> drive.  Then use sfdisk to copy the partition setup from one of the
> drives in the raid to the new drive.  After the partitioning is complete
> add the drive to the array using mdadm and your done.  All that you need
> to do is to monitor the rebuilding by a simple cat /proc/mdstat.

Baho,

	Thanks. I am arriving at that conclusion as well. Currently I have 6 onboard
raid sets and 4 software sets. I have had good luck replacing failed disks with
both in the past. I agree mdraid is much more flexible than dmraid and from the
testing I've done between fake-raid and software raid there is 0 (zero)
performance difference between the two.

	I'll let you know how this replacement goes. I'm in the process or copying
partitions with gparted as we speak...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC