[arch-general] unclean filesystem

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Fri Jan 22 11:04:59 EST 2010

On 01/21/2010 02:11 PM, christopher floess wrote:
> Uh, this might be a quick question, since it's a little abstract.
>
> I'm dual booting and I've noticed that every time I boot into Arch after
> I've booted into one of my other systems, there is a forced file system
> check. It's not a huge deal, because I use Arch almost exclusively, but
> I have to say, I cringe at the thought of having to boot into one of the
> other systems now.
>
> How would you trouble shoot this? I have also never seen a system where
> after every ~20 reboots, a file system check is mandatory. This might
> just be my ignorance here, so a reference to some background about that
> part of the boot process might suffice.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> -- chris

Usually you set your system clock to 'localtime' for your unix install since
windows only uses localtime. If you have your unix install using gmt, then on
every reboot (at least those where the reboot occurs within a timeframe less
than your localtime offset from gmt), fsck can get called because the filesystem
time has changed. Big pain.

If dual-booting, make sure you configure /etc/rc.conf and set:

HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"

If all that is already done -- dunno??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.